Saturday, January 7, 2017

What Makes a Good Writing Conference?

Not all literary agents like going to writing conferences, but I love them. It's my favorite part of my job. I enjoy getting out of my solitary existence, am invigorated by talking about books and publishing for three days straight, and love feeling like I'm helping aspiring writers rather than rejecting their stories day after day.

Some conferences are huge, with hundreds of participants. Others are small, intimate, with people who've known each other for years. Some have lots and lots of pitch sessions with agents and editors, and others are mostly writers and other industry professionals giving classes and holding panels.

As a writer, what kind of conference should you attend? In order of priority, you should select your conference based on the following:

1. The conference closest to where you live.

A conference might only cost fifty or a hundred dollars to attend . . . until you count hotel, airfare, etc. If there's a conference in your home city, go to that first. If there isn't a nearby conference, or you want to attend something else in addition, move down the list to the other considerations.

2. The attendees are serious writers.

Let me repeat that. The attendees are serious. Not the guests, the editors, agents, and professional writers, but your fellow writers attending on their own dime. Barring that fluke encounter where you meet your editor or agent, your best networking at a conference is going to be other aspiring writers.

A good percentage of them should be serious about their craft, people who are producing and submitting, who are hungry and ambitious. All the same things you are, right? That's presumably why you're reading this blog. These people will inspire you, will push you, and, in my experience, will give you some of the best advice and feedback you're likely to receive, as well as form lasting friendships.

3. The conference has some success stories.

A conference with a track record of converting aspiring writers into seasoned professionals is one where you'll find a culture of pushing people to that next level, where you'll find encouragement and enthusiasm, not resentment, when you sign that first book deal.

4. The conference has diversity.

I mean that in the wider sense of the word. Not all the guests and attendees are between the ages of 45 and 55, for example, but a mix of young learners and more experienced people. There is a good balance of men and women, and hopefully religious, racial, and cultural diversity, as well. This is easier to achieve in some parts of the country than others, but I've found that there's better energy in a group with a lot of different backgrounds present.

Note that this is not a big city/small town divide. Some big cities can be just as provincial in their outlook as any country village.

5. The conference has great professionals as presenters.

Note that this is last in my list. In part, this is because most conferences do a good job of selecting guests, and also because the vibe from the participants is going to be different from year to year, or even from panel to panel.

But mainly I put this last to emphasize that the primary benefit you get from attending conferences doesn't have anything to do with that chance encounter with an industry pro that ends up making your career. Let's be honest, that rarely happens.

Mostly, you're attending to be energized, to remember that you're a writer, that this is serious. To learn and be inspired. You can do this, but you need to be reminded now and then.

***

My needs as an agent are different, of course. I teach at 3-4 conferences a year, and my favorites are the ones where I maximize the amount of teaching and interaction and limit the one-on-one pitches. Pitch sessions are tiring, and can seem to blur together. Also, so many poor writers are nervous and trembling as they approach these pitch sessions. I try to put them at ease, but it doesn't always work.

Another thing I really enjoy is when the conference arranges for the attendees to see a little bit of the surrounding area. Most will have an outing of some kind, but a few have really outdone themselves on the hospitality front, like the James River Writing Conference, in Richmond.

I prefer to vary my conferences, giving a break of at least a year before I return to teach at any given location. Right now, I would like to reach some parts of the country where I haven't taught very often, largely the Midwest and the South, but I serious consider every invitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment