Thursday, December 22, 2016

Working From Home or Living at Work*

The good thing about my job is that I can work from anywhere. The bad thing about my job is . . . well, that I can work from anywhere. I just got back from a short trip to Mexico, where I ate a lot of spicy food, soaked up some sun before returning to the frozen wastelands of the north, and read a lot of manuscripts.

None of these requested works I'd had for more than a few weeks, but due to an unusual confluence of events, I've seen an unusual number of promising manuscripts this year, which has led to an unusual number of new authors.

One thing I didn't do was to read any queries, which gave me a chance to test the current input levels. My queries have nudged up from about 7-10 a day to 12-15 per day. I attended more conferences this year than usual, which increases visibility, I've got a couple of authors doing really well, which further increases visibility, and I recently put out a call for science fiction and fantasy, which is an area where my agenting has some openings, but where I haven't yet been grabbed by the right project.

Or maybe it's just that we're three weeks past NaNoWriMo, and all those rough drafts are hitting the query-go-round. Kidding. Mostly. Maybe not at all.

*That was my response when I used to own an inn and people told me how nice it must be to work from home. Actually, it felt a lot more like living at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment